top of page
Sciatica is pain in the leg caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve. Sometimes there is associated tingling, numbness or weakness in the leg.
Common causes of sciatica are bending or twisting the back, or poor sitting posture.
Your physiotherapist will be examine you to determine the cause of your pain.
Treatment usually includes:
- Hands on treatment such as spinal manipulation/mobilisation
- Soft tissue/massage techniques to tender trigger points
- Exercises to take pressure off the sciatic nerve
- Stretches to release the sciatic nerve
- Pain relieving modalities
- Education on correct bending/lifting techniques and seating design
See our Back Pain section for more details on related problems that occur in this area of the body
bottom of page